urgent

Rob O'Donnell robert at aphnet.co.uk
Fri Apr 25 03:09:32 PDT 2003

At 11:45 25/04/2003 +0300, Ülkü SAYILAN wrote:

>I have delete accidently my files that is in oen directory with this
>command...
>
>rm  -rf  ?*
>
>but I have to recover it... because a lots of document lost...
>
>I can I do for recovering?

Do a search on the archives for "undelete" .. this one popped up for me:
http://www.ccl.net/cca/software/UNIX/recover-files-after-rm/index.shtml

but basically, if it's gone, it's gone.  If you've written anything to the
filesystem
since the delete, there's a fair chance the data has been overwritten already.

I would recommend restoring from backups.  If you don't already do them, then
look on this as a learning experience, and start doing them in future.  Having
been bitten myself, I now have a 120Gb IDE in my server, taking a copy every
night using pdumpfs (in ports).  works a charm,and substantially cheaper than
a 40Gb tape drive, which I'd have needed otherwise.  With the drive only ever
mounted for the backup, and unmounted afterwards, it's not very likely to get
trashed by anything else.