sound device?

K Anderson freebsduser at attbi.com
Fri Apr 25 01:39:50 PDT 2003

Fuzzy wrote:
> I'm trying to get sound to work
> with KDE's desktop. The motherboard
> has an AC97 sound and it appears to
> be recognised by the kernel.
>
> the OS version is 4.8-rel. I'm trying to put together
> a workstation that I expect to do video capture on
> as well as create VCD form mpeg1's.
>
> The system has an AMD Duron 800mHz, 384meg ram,
> 80gb ata100 harddrive (80wire cable) on ata0,
> 48x/14x/48x 40 wire cable ata33 cdrw (master)
> and a 3gb ata33 harddrive (slave) on ata1,
> NVIDA GForce video  with 32mb video ram, using
> onboard sound [the kernel's view of it is below].
>
> dmesg output for device:
>
> pcm0: <VIA VT82C686A> port 0xe400-0xe403,0xe000-0xe003,0xdc00-0xdcff
> 		irq 11 at device 7.5 on pci0
> pcm0: <ICEnsemble ICE1232 ac97 codec>
>
> /dev/sndstat contains:
>
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <VIA VT82C686A> at io 0xdc00 irq 11 (1p/1r/0v channels duplex)
>
> But i keep getting an error from kde's sound system saying it can't
> find /dev/audio (what it thinks is the sound device). MAKEDEV doesn't
> appear to understand pcm0 and the device file does not exist.
>
> I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong. KDE did configure itself
> fine, (at the time I was running the GENERIC kernel. I've since
> compiled a kernel with the sound support in it).
>
> Any idea on what I'm doing wrong, and how to make KDE find
> the onboard audio device?
>
> thanks in advance

Let me give you some sound advice (as opposed to sound device, hehehe) I
have a Dell 2650 and it has that same device. What you do is, and I did
this because I forgot how to do the sound thing, this was like sooo cool
because I now have a diskless system (I'm waiting for my browser to load
up FreeBSD's site in the handbook under multimedia it tells you these
things) with sound.

Right smack gob out of the handbook.

16.2.2 Creating and Testing the Device Nodes

After you reboot, log in and check for the device in the
/var/run/dmesg.boot file, as shown below:

# grep pcm /var/run/dmesg.boot
pcm0: <SB16 DSP 4.11> on sbc0

The output from your system may look different. If no pcm devices show
up, something went wrong earlier. If that happens, go through your
kernel configuration file again and make sure you chose the correct
device. Common problems are listed in Section 16.2.2.1.

Note: If you are running FreeBSD 5.0 or later, you can safely skip the
rest of this section. These versions use devfs(5) to automatically
create devices nodes.

If the previous command returned pcm0, you will have to run the
following as root:

# cd /dev
# sh MAKEDEV snd0

If the command returned pcm1, follow the same steps as shown above,
replacing snd0 with snd1.

Note: The above commands will not create a /dev/snd device!

MAKEDEV will create a group of device nodes, including:
Device Description
/dev/audio SPARC-compatible audio device
/dev/dsp Digitized voice device
/dev/dspW Like /dev/dsp, but 16 bits per sample
/dev/midi Raw midi access device
/dev/mixer Control port mixer device
/dev/music Level 2 sequencer interface
/dev/sequencer Sequencer device
/dev/pss Programmable device interface

If all goes well, you should now have a functioning sound card. If your
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is properly coupled to your sound card, you can
put a CD in the drive and play it with cdcontrol(1):

% cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0c play 1

Various applications, such as audio/workman offer a better interface.
You may want to install an application such as audio/mpg123 to listen to
MP3 audio files.
16.2.2.1 Common Problems
Error Solution
``unsupported subdevice XX''

One or more of the device nodes was not created correctly. Repeat the
steps above.
``sb_dspwr(XX) timed out''

The I/O port is not set correctly.
``bad irq XX''

The IRQ is set incorrectly. Make sure that the set IRQ and the sound IRQ
are the same.
``xxx: gus pcm not attached, out of memory''

There is not enough available memory to use the device.
``xxx: can't open /dev/dsp!''

Check with fstat | grep dsp if another application is holding the device
open. Noteworthy troublemakers are esound and KDE's sound support.