Building CVS items on FreeBSD -- any ideas?h

Christopher Nehren apeiron at comcast.net
Thu Apr 24 13:14:42 PDT 2003

I've almost successfully built my own libtool / auto* installation with
which to build CVS things on FreeBSD. I've tested a few things like
oidentd, Gaim, and GTK--. oidentd works fine.

Gaim gives the following error after testing to see if "ln -s" works:
./ltconfig: ./ltconfig: No such file or directory
configure: error: libtool configure failed

GTK-- (just checked out maybe 5 minutes ago) gives this:
checking for getc_unlocked... no
./configure: line 18755: syntax error near unexpected token `GLIBMM,'
./configure: line 18755: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GLIBMM, sigc++-1.2 >=
${gtkmm_min_sigc_version} glib-2.0 >= ${gtkmm_min_glib_version}
gobject-2.0 >= ${gtkmm_min_glib_version} gmodule-2.0 >=
${gtkmm_min_glib_version})'

My libtool (which is in /usr/home/apeiron/software/bin/libtool) is
version 1.5 (I tried 1.4.3, also doesn't work). My autoconf (same place)
is 2.57. My automake (also same place) is 1.5. My m4 is 1.4. My GNU make
is 3.80. Gettext is 0.11.5. Does it make a difference that I'm running
./autogen.sh from tcsh (yes, I -have- seen instances where your source
shell is important)? Should I get a certain version of Bash / certain
set of flags?

If I can get this to work reliably, I'd love to write an article on  how
I accomplished it, because I'm sure that I'm not the only FreeBSD user
who wants to build CVS things but has had a hard time with it.