Vinum in FreeBSD 4.x branch

Duncan Young duncan.young at pobox.com
Wed Apr 23 08:48:50 PDT 2003

Hi,

Though I run vinum at home, I would actually suggest not using it in a
corperate environment.  There are a couple of problems with it which make
it less than desirable.

1) No root disk support (well I last time I checked it didn't).  This is
main reason not to use vinum.

2) Configuration screw ups can cause panics etc.  I've also had other
panics, but alas at the time I had more real memory than swap poartition
so no crash dump.  I actually can't quite remember what trigered it, but I
think it was to do with the automounter unmounting volumes.  Anyway, I
don't consider it to be competly stable, especially since configuration is
not idiot proof (i.e. the state of disks can get screwed up).  By way of
comparison, I've used veritas volume manager, solstice Disk suit, carrion
disk arrays, lvm (linux and HPUX), etc.  All of these are much more idiot
proof.  I'm sure vinum will get there, but its not quite there yet.

For simplicity and peace of mind, I would sugest some sort of hardware
raid controler and mirror everything.

Duncan