Why is FreeBSD so SLOW?

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Wed Apr 23 05:05:00 PDT 2003

I think the fundamental difference is that Linux was designed to be a
desktop operating system and FreeBSD is more of an all purpose
operating system.  In my opinion, any UNIX operating system is more
reliable that a Windows or Linux counterpart.

If  you want a UNIX operating system with a fast, good gui.. try Mac OS
X.  Its still a BSD and you can use many commercial applications.  In
fact, supposedly apple uses FreeBSD code in their OS.

As for your immediate speed problems, I would follow the advice already
given for optimization.  Also rebuild your kernel without all the stuff
you don't need.  That was the single, best improvement I ever did.  I
cut the size of the kernel in half on my FreeBSD server and my
workstation install was almost as good.

One last piece of advice, don't try to use KDE or Gnome if you are
looking for speed.  KDE is extremely slow.  They have the silly idea to
use a class to define NULL in their code.  What a performance hit.
Apple submitted several changes like this to the web browser project at
KDE.  (apple uses the KDE browser code for their safari browser)