User comments: ipfw or ipfilter.

Adam blueeskimo at gmx.net
Wed Apr 23 04:10:57 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 06:41, andre thomasson wrote:
> Im new at this, and this is my first contribution to this great mailinglist. :-)
>
> My problem is that i really cant decide wich type of firewall i shall use, by reading this mailinglist, and the FreeBSD handbook i realize that Ipfw is some kind of defactostandard in the FreeBSD world.
>
> But in otherhand, friend´s to me is pointing that IPFILTER is a better choice.
> ( yes i know that it depends on my ruleset how secure the firewalls  will be )
> Im so confused, plese let me know your thoughts about this.

While I don't know ipfw all that well, I have been using ipf since my
days (not so long ago) as a fresh green FreeBSD newb. I've never had any
problems with it, either in terms of configuration difficulties or at
runtime. It's even helped fight off a massive DDoS attack very nicely.

Note that I'm not casting a vote for ipf here, I'm just informing you of
my positive experiences.

--
Adam <blueeskimo at gmx.net>