PCMCIA network card advice? Example rc.conf please?

Vlad D. Markov markov at monmouth.com
Tue Apr 22 18:41:35 PDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:28:08 -0700
BSD baby <bsdlap at hitmedia.com> wrote:

> An odd problem:   I'm using a Linksys PCM100 PCMCIA network card on my laptop.
> Works fine in Windows.  It's on the FreeBSD approved hardware list.
>
> When I install FreeBSD 4.8 from the CD-Rom, it detects it, and I configure it.
> (Which yes I know how to do.  I do it all the time for regular installs.)
>
> But - when the laptop boots up, it doesn't seem to see the card.
> No route to host, etc.
>
> I wonder if this has to do with the PCMCIA abilities being turned on in the
> rc.conf *after* it's given the hostname, route, IP, etc?
>
> I'm just using the absolute default settings, so I don't think I'm doing anything
> wrong.  (I haven't done anything yet!)
>
> Just wondering if those of you with PCMCIA network cards could offer some
> advice or maybe your /etc/rc.conf file as an example?

FreeBSD has a daemon pccardd which monitors the insertion/removal
 of PCMCIA cards. It reports on the console when it finds one
inserted which is after the system is booted. In rc.conf
one has to enable pccard (pccard_enable="YES"). Then since
its a network card one should set pccard_ifconfig in rc.local.

That is all I needed to do.