portupgrade install

Marc Wiz marc at wiz.com
Tue Apr 22 11:16:52 PDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 01:10:15PM -0500, Brandon Hagedorn wrote:
> When doing a make install in the ports, I get this error
>
> /var: create/symlink failed, no inodes free
> mkdir: /var/db/pkg/ruby-rdoc-0.0.0.b2: No space left on device
> *** Error code 1

Stuff deleted.

> %df -H
> Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a   528M    43M   443M     9%    /
> /dev/ad0s1f   132M    53M    68M    44%    /tmp
> /dev/ad0s1g   6.7G   5.4G   813M    87%    /usr
> /dev/ad0s1e  1057M   721M   251M    74%    /var
> procfs        4.1K   4.1K     0B   100%    /proc
>
> FreeBSD version: 4.6.2-RELEASE
>
> I don't know why it says no space left on device because I have plenty
> there.  One of my friends said that there are too many files open.
> Could this be true.  If so how do I close them so I can install
> portupgrade? Any other suggestions?

Brandon,

please note what the error message stated; "no inodes free".  This means
that the filesystem has no more inodes it can allocate to new files.

Do a "df -i" and note the number of inodes free on /var

The quick fix is to delete some files in the /var file system.  If
you cannot delete files then you will have to increase the number
of inodes in /var.

You would have to:

backup /var
Do a newfs and recreate /var (man newfs for the gory details :-)
restore /var

It all goes without saying you should do this in single user mode.

Marc
--
Marc Wiz
marc at wiz.com