linux/freebsd kernel differences

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Apr 22 07:46:39 PDT 2003

beemern at ksu.edu wrote:
> theres an argument here in our office about linux vs. freebsd
>
> we're building a new nfs server for our entire dept, and i suggested using
> fbsd, however, an opponent put forth linux and said that:
>
> "there is no difference between linux and freebsd kernels, except that
> linux has much better driver support.. WHY use obscure freebsd?"

Just smack this guy.  His argument is completely pointless.  What does
"driver support" get you?  You're ordering the machine, right?  Then only
order hardware that is supported.
You need to start out by pointing out that this guy is arguing with no
ammo himself.
The "obscure" argument can be defeated by showing the number of big
companies that use FreeBSD, companies such as yahoo, pair.net, etc.
Also, by claiming "there is no difference between the Linux and FreeBSD
kernels" your opponent is basically saying "I don't know what I'm talking
about".  For better or worse, there are tons of differences between the
two kernels.  You could just start perusing the code and pointing out
differences and debunk the guy.

> anyone got any ammo i can use here? i'd really rather use fbsd since i'm
> much more familar with it and its never let me down (except in the area of
> native java support), and i believe it'd be perfect for our nfs box
>
> but i'll need some good concrete evidence to make my case..

You could do some searching on the NFS exploit that Linux had a short
while back that FreeBSD never had.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies