Trouble with the install command

Jim Mock mij at soupnazi.org
Mon Apr 21 18:00:07 PDT 2003

On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 04:24  PM, ingrid.gutwein wrote:
> Hi all!

Hi,

> The install command isn't working on my system.  I also had all these
> errors with 5.0-RELEASE.
>
> My system, now partially upgraded to yesterday's -CURRENT, is failing
> at exactly the same points as before.

Well, there's probably the source of your problem.  "Partially"
updating is going to cause things to be broken.

> The exact error messages are attached below. I suppose it has
> something to do with the makefiles, but I'm not sure.

Doubtful.

> I desperately tried every possible (and impossible) combination of
> commands during the last weeks, but I didn't have any luck with
> installing -CURRENT.
>
> Is it really always so hard, or am I making a mistake?

You probably shouldn't be running -CURRENT, and you definitely
shouldn't be expecting it to always work.

> # make installworld

> ===> lib
> ===> lib/csu/i386-elf
> install -o root -g wheel -m 444  crt1.o crti.o crtn.o gcrt1.o /usr/lib
> ===> lib/libcom_err
> install -C -o root -g wheel -m 444   libcom_err.a /usr/lib
> install -C -o root -g wheel -m 444   libcom_err_p.a /usr/lib
> install "" -o root -g wheel -m 444     libcom_err.so.2 /usr/lib
>
> install: : No such file or directory
> *** Error code 71

Looks like something got hosed during buildworld somewhere or you've
only got bits and pieces updated here and there (which you can't do).

> Here's another one:
>

> # cd /usr/ports/net/mldonkey && make install
> ===>  Installing for mldonkey-2.04.r1
> ===>   mldonkey-2.04.r1 depends on shared library: c_r.4 - found
> usage: install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
>                [-o owner] file1 file2
>        install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
>                [-o owner] file1 ... fileN directory
>        install -d [-v] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ...
> *** Error code 64

This could be the port itself being broken, or it could be the severe
system breakage you apparently have affecting the ports tree.

- jim

--
- jim mock  mij@{soupnazi|opendarwin}.org  jim@{bsdnews|FreeBSD}.org -
- editor in chief, BSD News: http://bsdnews.org  http://soupnazi.org -