Problem formatting new hard drive.

Joshua Oreman oremanj at webserver.get-linux.org
Mon Apr 21 16:04:19 PDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 02:11:58PM -0400 or thereabouts, James Pancoast seemed to write:

> 	I'm new to FreeBSD (I installed it on a system this weekend).  I've been
> trying to add a new Hard drive, following the directions at:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/formatting-media/x66.html
>
> 	Going through sysinstall didn't work, so I tried the command line
> (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad2 count=2).  However, when I run that command (as
> root), I get "Operation not permitted".  Anyone have an idea what I'm doing
> wrong?

Are you running 5.x? The GEOM code in the kernel puts some extra sanity checks
in. I bet some partition on the disk is being used for something.
Try this:
# mount | grep ad2
# swapinfo | grep ad2
If any of those return anything, swapoff/umount the relevant partitions.
Also, if you install /usr/ports/graphics/graphviz, you can get a diagram
of what GEOM thinks is in use:
# sysctl -b kern.geom.confdot > temp.dot
# dot -Tgif -o temp.gif temp.dot
Then view temp.gif with your favorite gfx program. Look for 'locks' info.

If you're running 4.x, or if this fails, check permissions on the device.

Hope this helps,
-- Josh