Diskless Workstation Boot - kernel.diskless can't parse file...

Nathan Kinkade nkinkade at dsl-only.net
Mon Apr 21 15:33:36 PDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 02:12:05PM -0700, K Anderson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm interested in checking out the diskless workstation stuff but I am
> finding the documentation sorely lacking.
>
> I have the dhcp server configured but I am at a point where the
> etherboot floppy connects, gets the assigned IP address and other
> information then gets stuck with the following error

> kernel.diskless
>
> I think it might have to do with the tag kernel but the command to make
> the tagged kernel doesn't exist.
>
> So I'm looking for someone to lead me to the holly grail of diskless
> workstations so I can check it out.
>
> Really good instructions are greatly appreciated.
>
> I'm using Etherboot 5.0.8 from ports.

First, FreeBSD does not need a tagged kernel like Linux, so do not tag
or attempt to tag the kernel.  What sort of path do you have to
kernel.diskless in your dhcpd.conf file?  Are you using nfs or tftp?
I've got a diskless terminal going here with 4.8.  I used nfs across the
board so that I don't have to enable tftpd, and thence inetd.  Here
would be some useful information for me to know:
1) your dhcpd.conf file
2) options you selected when building your etherboot image
3) nfs or tftpd

I may not be able to help, even with these, but possibly I'll see
something??

Nathan
--
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C