restore deleted files

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Apr 21 05:51:05 PDT 2003

Vladik Kozin wrote:
> Accidentally I did rm *.* as root in one of my users directory :( Luckily all
> hidden files and all directories survived but I guess all files with
> extentions have been deleted. I bet those files can somehow be restored? I
> searched archives and found only some mentioning about ffsrecov port. Will it
> do the thing or do I need smth else?

This comes up off and on.

Yes, it is possible to undelete deleted files on FreeBSD's filesystem.  No, to
my knowledge there is no port or program that will just do it for you.  In
order to undelete those files you will need to have a good understanding of
how FFS works, and some luck.  Search google for undelete and you'll find a
few descriptions of the process.

The best way to undelete the files is to restore them from backup.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies