sshd: buffer_get trying to get more bytes than in buffer

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Mon Apr 21 01:20:47 PDT 2003

Hello!

I've noticed that one of my users logging in via ssh from one particular IP
always causes this message to appear in auth.log:

Apr 20 15:43:18 heerold sshd[18766]: fatal: buffer_get: trying to get more bytes 4 than in buffer 0

The same user logs in from several different IP-s and the message only
appears when he logs in from one particular IP. This leads me to believe
that it might be just a quirk in the SSH client software he uses on this
particular PC, but I just wanted to confirm that it's not actually an
indication of Something Evil in progress.

The OS is 4.7-RELEASE-p9 with base system sshd.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses.