Serial Port Problem

rreinoso at cfl.rr.com rreinoso at cfl.rr.com
Sun Apr 20 11:37:22 PDT 2003

I installed an X10 controller card that uses COM3 as the device interface.
The first time I installed it it had a problem (see the error messages during
boot up below), but after recompiling the kernel, the messages went away and
it worked very well.

However, I had to re-install FreeBSD because I had partitioned the disk very
badly, and now I can't get the card to work.  No matter what I've tried, I
still get the error messages.  I already checked the serial card jumpers and
the "/boot/device.hints" file, and everything looks fine.  I am out of ideas,
and I don't know when the IRQs are probed and what the whole thing about
probed IRQs means.  Any help will be welcome.

sio2: configured irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio2: port may not be enabled
sio2 at port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5 on isa0
sio2: type 16450

Ramiro Reinoso