Same old sendmail "loops back to me", not solved with FAQ, etc.

Christopher Nehren apeiron at comcast.net
Sun Apr 20 08:34:32 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-20 at 09:33, Jez Hancock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firstly have you tried setting up an MX record for prophecy.dyndns.org so it
> points to your latest IP addr each time you reconnect?

I forgot (my apologies) to mention that the IP address and MX record are
completely and totally irrelevant, as all I'm trying to do is send email
from a router for my home network to a machine on that home network.
'prophecy.dyndns.org' is simply a DynDNS hostname for my IP that I
prefer to use instead of pcp[numbers]pcs.levtwn01.comcast.net . Yes,
I've set up the /etc/mail/service.switch file correctly on both
machines, and I have host entries in /etc/hosts , and it still barfs on
me. As far as I can see, the error message that it gave me has nothing
at all to do with what I want to accomplish.

> In general regarding the whole freebsd sendmail gubbins...
> Try and stay clear of changing the sendmail.cf files directly.  Instead
> do this:
>
> cd /etc/mail/
> cp freebsd.mc prophecy.dyndns.org.mc
> (Make all changes to this file from now on and when you've made a change to
> it at any time, make sure to rebuild a new .cf file from it using 'make',
> see below:).

I already have a prophecy.dyndns.org.mc file on top of the freebsd.mc
file; I've edited both of them and the problem still exists, before and
after a 'make'.

> Now check that this line is in /etc/mail/prophecy.dyndns.org.mc:
> define(`confCW_FILE', `-o /etc/mail/local-host-names')

That's there already.

> And then:
>
> cp /etc/defaults/make.conf /etc/make.conf
>
> Edit /etc/make.conf so it includes:
> SENDMAIL_MC=/etc/mail/prophecy.dyndns.org.mc
> (this ensures that when you 'make installworld' your config is used)
> (note you only really have to copy the bit above into the /etc/make.conf file,
> the file only has effect when you run 'make' in /usr/src afaik)

Okay, did that.

> Edit your /etc/local-host-names file so it includes:
> prophecy.dyndns.org
> (sounds like you did this already:)

Yep, did that.

> cd /etc/mail
> make all
> cp prophecy.dyndns.org.cf freebsd.cf
> make restart

Okay, did that too.

> Anyway hope that vaguely helps.

It's still giving me the MX error ... but thank you for the extensive
information. =)

Regards, Christopher