compiling kernel for another machine then installing - how?

Nathan Kinkade nkinkade at dsl-only.net
Sat Apr 19 07:17:39 PDT 2003

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 03:34:55PM +1000, Paul Jansen wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've dine some searching through the mailing lsits and
> google groups but haven't managed to find anything
> about this.
> I've also looked in the handbook but it doesn't
> discuss this issue.
> Basically I've got a slow machine and a much faster
> machine.  I wanted to compile the kernel for the
> slower machine on the faster one to save a lot of
> time.  I've followed the directions in the handbook to
> compile a kernel as normal but I'm not sure exactly
> what I need to copy and where.  Is it easier to NFS
> mount to do this?  I tried and ran into some pathing
> issues.
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks.

As far as I know, the only two thing which you need to worry about are
the machine/cpu settings in the kernel config file, and CPUTYPE directive
that is possibly in your /etc/make.conf file.  Make user to set these
according to the machine for which you are compiling.  Then compile as
normal.  When you are done simply copy the kernel to the new machine.
If you are compiling the kernel the newer way with `make buildkernel`
it should be located at /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/<yourkernel>/kernel, where
<yourkernel> is the name of your kernel config file.  Also keep in mind
that you the machine you are compiling for is running the save version
of the system.

Nathan

--
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C