*nix trial

J. Seth Henry jshamlet at comcast.net
Fri Apr 18 21:02:08 PDT 2003

If you have a good Internet connection (and by good, I mean 128kpbs or
more), then all you absolutely require to install FreeBSD is two floppy
disks. However, this is far from quick - taking over two hours on my cable
modem. If you just want the base OS, then the first CD ROM contains
everything you need to install a workstation, with X. As was mentioned in
the more commonly used stuff will be there (desktop environments, for
example)

Once you get the base OS up and running, use /stand/sysinstall to
download/copy and install more software. The installer will automatically
grab any dependencies for you. This is probably one of the nicer features
of FreeBSD.

The installer is network aware, and will give you a choice of whether to
look on the CD/DVD drive, or download from an FTP site - so you CD's won't
be wasted.

Good luck,
Seth Henry