What am I running?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Apr 18 16:41:55 PDT 2003

Ben Blonder wrote:
> I recently became aware of a security problem on my system (detailed at
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-02:08.exec.asc)
>
> I installed FreeBSD 4.4 the first day it came out, so I think I'm running
> 4.4-RELEASE. However, the security advisory recommends solutions for
> RELENG_4_4 or 4.4-STABLE.

Probably running 4.4-RELEASE.  "uname -a" will tell you.

> My question: can I use a patch for one of those branches on my system or
> will it muck something up?

It's likely to work.  But you're probably better off updating to the RELENG_4_4
branch as it has all the security fixes for 4.4.

Basically, if you can apply the patch without errors and the system builds,
you're probably good to go.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies