Tape Storage questions

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Thu Apr 17 08:13:03 PDT 2003

> Hello ...im running FBSD 4.6 on a P3 500. Im looking into buying a backup
> solution for this box o backup other varius boxes in our DMZ.My question is
> this...does FBSD support the Quantum DLT 8000 drive...and
> if not Can anyonw make a recommendation as to what DLT drives can be used
> with FBSD4.6 .
> In reading online,,,i see that FBSD does support the Quantum DLT-2000
> drive.
>
> I do also have a DDS3 drive (cuurently attached to a SUN E250 box. I was
> thinnking of using it....if FBSD supports it ?
> Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

We are running systems with DDS2, DDS3, DDS4 and DLT-40/80 drives mostly
on various Dell Poweredge servers and they work fine.  We did have some
problems with the DDS3 drives which seemed to be an internal timing
problem with the controler appearing to say an operation such as a rewind
or fast forward was finished when it wasn't and then the next command
such as a write blowing up and the drive hanging.    Dell replaced a few
of those.

////jerry