System security - Freebsd 4.8RC

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Apr 17 06:00:29 PDT 2003

K Anderson wrote:
> I read through the basic freebsd documention on security, or more so the
> administration of users. I will probably be opening my system to several
> users using ssh and ssh-ftp.
>
> This is for the purpose of doing PHP, MySQL and other web related stuff
> using Apache.
>
> There are some things I am unsure about or would like guidance on:
>   I'm thinking that I want to keep the users within the bounds of their
> own directory structure so they may not poke around looking for things
> to pilfer, change, hack, slash or break. Is this something that some of
> you more experienced administrators do to users to make sure they don't
> break something? If so, got any suggestions as where I may start?

http://chrootssh.sourceforge.net/
The standard ftp daemon has an ftpchroot file, I would hope that ssh-ftp
can do the same.  (see 'man ftpchroot')

>   Since I would like to allow the users to be able to do php stuff only
> and perhaps block access to some wisenheimer that might allow them to
> create mischief not only on my system but other systems as well, either
> through CGI, PERL, PHP does anybody have ideas on how to restrict
> certain things like creating sockets, inet connections and other stuff?
> I know I can create a heafty firewall rule set to block some stuff so I
> would have to do things like that, I just can't think of any gotchas or
> something like that I might be overlooking.

Check out the security docs for php.  Safe mode is probably a good place
to start.  Additionally, you can restrict certain commands and other
behaviour with directives in php.ini.  See this page:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.directives.php

> If there's any other gotchas I should be aware of, I look forward to
> getting feed back on user and security issues.

As was pointed out already ... the ultimate will really be a jail environ.
You need to determine if your security needs warrant that or not.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies