Changes in ssh?

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Wed Apr 16 15:32:16 PDT 2003

Hello,

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 23:13, Tuc wrote:

> > Hello,
> >      Thanks for the reply..,

> > > 	TCPWRAPPERS/hosts.allow is the first thing I think of when
> > > it does this.
> > >

> > I thought of this.,
> >

> > <snipped>

> 	There is the possibility that its getting caught on one of the
> other things above there. The new format seems to go incrementally. Use
> tcpdmatch and see if it will tell you what line causes the hit/miss:
>
> himinbjorg# tcpdmatch sshd valhalla
> warning: sshd: no such process name in /etc/inetd.conf
> warning: valhalla: hostname alias
> warning: (official name: valhalla.ttsg.com)
> client:   hostname valhalla.ttsg.com
> client:   address  216.231.111.14
> server:   process  sshd
> matched:  /etc/hosts.allow line 23
> option:   allow
> access:   granted
>
> (Thats the ALL:ALL:allow... taking that out :)
>
> himinbjorg# tcpdmatch sshd valhalla
> warning: sshd: no such process name in /etc/inetd.conf
> warning: valhalla: hostname alias
> warning: (official name: valhalla.ttsg.com)
> client:   hostname valhalla.ttsg.com
> client:   address  216.231.111.14
> server:   process  sshd
> matched:  /etc/hosts.allow line 82
> option:   severity auth.info
> option:   twist /bin/echo "You are not welcome to use sshd from valhalla.ttsg.com."
> access:   delegated
>
> 	Fails otherwise.

Okay.., forgot about tcpdmatch..,

Here's what I get on the new (host0) box:
warning: sshd: no such process name in /etc/inetd.conf
warning: <host>: hostname alias
warning: (official name: <FQDN>)
client:   hostname <FQDN>
client:   address  192.168.1.7
server:   process  sshd
matched:  /etc/hosts.allow line 32
option:   deny
access:   denied

And here's what's returned from the source (host1) box:
warning: sshd: no such process name in /etc/inetd.conf
client:   hostname <host>
client:   address  192.168.1.8
server:   process  sshd
matched:  /etc/hosts.allow line 30
option:   deny
access:   denied

And another host2 on the network:
warning: sshd: no such process name in /etc/inetd.conf
client:   hostname <host>
client:   address  192.168.1.10
server:   process  sshd
matched:  /etc/hosts.allow line 30
option:   deny
access:   denied

Note the differences in the output from the new box and others - host1 &
host2..,

Is there anything in this difference?

All but one box is running 4.8 Stable, the odd one out is running
4.8-RC, dated March 22, but running the same version of ssh as the
others..,

Regards,

Stacey

--