FreeBSD clustering

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Apr 16 13:49:46 PDT 2003

> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:15:11 -0500
> From: Dan Nelson <dnelson at allantgroup.com>

> > > What exactly do you mean by "clustering"?
> > >
> > > There are different resource available, depening on what network
> > > service you need to cluster.  mod_backhand for Apache allows
> > > multiple web servers to act as one (for example)
> > >
> > > Last I looked, everything that I found available for Linux was also
> > > available for FreeBSD, but it's been a little while since I've
> > > explored the concept of "processing farms".
> > >
> > > If you state what you're trying to accomplish, it will give folks a
> > > better idea of how to answer.
> >
> > We are looking at cluster as a high availability compute box for
> > statistical analysis. Our stats guy thinks having a cluster that he
> > can send different bits of the data analysis would be an excellent
> > solution as his operations are quite atomic.
>
> Take a look at ports/net/mpich or net/pvm, which are libraries that let
> you coordinate programs running on different machines.  They're mainly
> meant for parallel computing as opposed to fault tolerant clusters
> though.
>
> > My boss has also suggested that is might be suitable for our DNS
> > servers as they need to be very high availability, but this would be
> > of secondary importance.
>
> DNS is already "clustered"; just set up multiple slave servers.

Thanks, Dan. But I guess what I am looking for is MOSIX-like capability
to move processes between systems to balance the load. As far as I know
nothing like this is available for FreeBSD. I was hoping someone else
knew better, a distinct possibility since I'm a routing guy and my
knowledge of this stuff is limited. (I hope this explains my poor
explanation of what I was looking for.)

As far as I can tell, doing anything like this would require kernel mods,
one reason I thought it a bit unlikely.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)