FTP gone Slow

alex mangoost at inetcomm.ru
Wed Apr 16 09:21:51 PDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:51:30 -0400
Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:

> Gavin Kenny wrote:
> >  --- Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote: >

> >>while

> >>takes

> >>be

> >>Have you done any diagnostic testing at all?  I know
> >>you didn't
> >>do any searching, as this is discussed on this list
> >>alone about
> >>every two weeks and you would have found it if you'd
> >>searched
> >>google.
> >>
> >>My first guess would be that your reverse DNS broke
> >>at some point.
> >>Generally what happens, is that the FTP daemon is
> >>waiting for an
> >>RDNS request to return so it has a hostname to put
> >>in the logs.  If
> >>the RDNS is broken, it waits until timeout (30 sec
> >>is the norm I
> >>believe) before logging you in.
> >>
> >>Easy way to find out if this is the problem is the
> >>host command.
> >>host 55.55.55.55
> >>(substitute your IP address for 55.55.55.55)
> >>If you don't get a hostname, this is likely to be
> >>the problem.
> >
> > Apologies, I was being lazy, you are right I had
> > better do some searching.
> >
> > I am not running DNS (it is just a little network I
> > use to develop on, and I ftp the IP address to move SW
> > about) it is strange as the other machines work just
> > fine. This one has a problem.
>
> You really don't have much choice, as many programs use
> DNS without even you knowing it.
> Despite the size of your network, you're probably best
> off to have a working local DNS server to prevent
> problems before they occur.

I'm not sure, that the problem is in DNS, but, if you do not whant to run a DNS server,
you may use /etc/hosts to bind names and adresses.

> --
> Bill Moran
> Potential Technologies
> http://www.potentialtech.com

root at mangoost:~# cat /var/log/messages | grep -i windows
Апр  16 20:15:49  mangoost.tronet.troitsk.ru system_check[199]: Unauthorized object 'MS-WINDOWS' has been detected and successfully removed from the system.
root at mangoost:~#