John <agent007=email-agents.com@spamarrest.com>

Louis LeBlanc leblanc+freebsd at keyslapper.org
Tue Apr 15 13:50:21 PDT 2003

This is really an underhanded way to 'prevent' spam.  Basically,
Spamarrest requires you validate yourself to them before they'll allow
your mail through to their customers.  Of course, if you read their
fine print, you're basically giving them permission to send you
information about their service.  Essentially, they wind up spamming
you directly until you buy their service.  They make no promises as to
the privacy of your contact info, and they provide no easy way to be
taken off their list.

I never see this because I put the following in my /etc/mail/access
file:
spamarrest.com  550 Go Away Spamarrest!

My opinion is that if someone wants me to get spammed so they don't
have to, doesn't deserve any of my time anyway.

There have been threads on this subject in a number of mailing lists,
particularly the SpamAssassin list.  The general consensus among the
antispam community is that they are the wolf in sheeps clothing.

On 04/15/03 08:20 PM, Wayne Pascoe sat at the `puter and typed: