How to turn on telnet on server.

Daniel Bye dan at slightlystrange.org
Tue Apr 15 12:03:55 PDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:54:31AM -0700, Dino Tose wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am working with a Unix Server, FreeBSD 3.4 version.
>
> Telnet is set on this server but has been disable how
> do I enable it? What I want to do is to get access to
> this server from home. Can you also tell about
> security having this server running at all times? how
> do I set it? so it becames secure.

If you're worried about security (as you should be), then forget telnet
altogether, and install/use ssh.  It performs a very similar function, but
encrypts all data across the connection.  Have a look at this page for more
information:

http://www.uk.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/openssh.html

Setup is a bit more complex, but it is well worth the effort for the peace
of mind it will give you.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \