/dev/...

Joshua Lokken joshua at joshualokken.com
Tue Apr 15 11:00:41 PDT 2003

* CARTER Anthony (a.carter at cordis.lu) wrote:
==> You have to be owner (not group owner) of the mount point from what I can work
==> out.
==>
==> Anthony
==>
==> On Tuesday 15 April 2003 08:58, Vladik Kozin wrote:
==> > > Hi! What if I'd like ordinary users to be able to mount /dev/fd0, for
==> > > instance, onto a common dir located in /mnt (/mnt/floppy)?
==> > > I made mkdir -m 755 /mnt/floppy as root. When I try to mount fd0 onto
==> > > this dir as an ordinary user I get "msdos: /dev/fd0: Operation not
==> > > permitted" while when doing the same onto a dir that this user owns
==> > > everything goes fine. _______________________________________________
==> >
==> > Of course I checked the FAQ & did everything as said there. Specifically:
==> > #su
==> > # sysctl -w vfs.usermount=1
==> > # chmod 666 /dev/fd0
==> > #mkdir -m 755 /mnt/floppy
==> > bash$ mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
mount: vfsload(msdos): Operation not permitted

OK, we've seen the faq section on this, and two clear, plain examples of the
exact procedure there not working properly.  Does anyone have any new, not
rehashed, ideas of why this is?  Thanks.

--
Joshua