KDE startup slow

Paul Everlund tdv94ped at cs.umu.se
Tue Apr 15 05:54:34 PDT 2003

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, CARTER Anthony wrote:

> ok...
>
> Do you have an internal network on your machine, or do you just plug
> your ADSL into your network card?
>
> If you just plug straight into your network card, then you can
> disable dhcp if you want, it is not necessary. What you need to do
> is configure /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and /etc/rc.conf (using
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf as reference, but don't change the defaults
> file).

[snip]

> Anthony Carter

Yonatan Bokovza pointed out that I should look at port 111 on lo0.
After denying those packets KDE did start up fine again.

But the ADSL connection from the ISP still sucks, so I guess I'll
change ISP. To many disconnections, even though I use a program called
lfConnectionKeeper to login every 5th minute, to keep the connection
alive.

Thanks for the help anyway!

Best regards,
Paul