Trouble running phoenix browser

Jonathon McKitrick jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
Tue Apr 15 05:22:48 PDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 08:16:11PM -0700, Joshua Lokken wrote:
: * Jonathon McKitrick (jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org) wrote:
: ==>
: ==> Hi,
: ==>
: ==> I installed perl from the ports on my new box, and then started an install
: ==> of the Phoenix browser.  After it was finished, typing 'phoenix' runs for a
: ==> couple of seconds, then returns to the shell prompt.  There is no error
: ==> message of any kind, and no processes left running.  The browser simply
: ==> never appears.
: ==>
: ==> Any idea what this could be?  Like I said, I saw NO error messages during
: ==> installation or when running, so that sure makes it difficult to diagnose.
:
: I would guess you should [re]cvsup your ports (did you do that after the
: install?) and remove/rebuild.  That is a guess.  Just to check, I just
: installed perl58 from the ports, issued the command 'use.perl port',
: installed phoenix (had never looked at it before) and it works well on
: 4.8-stable.  I think I'll try it for awhile!
----8<----

I had it running wonderfully on my (Pentium) laptop under 4.7.  I just got a
new (Athlon) box, installed 4.8 clean, and Phoenix will not run.  A previous
post said it could have to do with optimizations.

But I do agree with you: the performance and amount of control you have over
web page display makes Phoenix the best general-purpose browser out there,
IMHO.

jcm
--
Consulting: If you aren't part of the solution, there is
a lot of money to be made in prolonging the problem.