FreeBSD restarts on error.

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Apr 14 20:25:44 PDT 2003

Jason Cave wrote:
> Hopefully someone will know why this happens.  Whenever I get an error
> compiling or any kind of error, FreeBSD will suddenly kill all connections
> to it and reboot.  I am currently using FreeBSD 4.8.
>
> Anyone else encounter this?

Can you see the console?  Are you getting panic messages?

When the system panics (major system failure) it reboots after a few seconds
(I believe this behaviour can be configured, but that's the default)

Compiles are notorious for exposing marginal hardware.  I would consider using
utilities like memtest and cpuburn to validate the reliability of your
hardware.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies