Trouble running phoenix browser

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Mon Apr 14 19:49:03 PDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 03:24:31AM +0100, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 06:58:23PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> : On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 12:00:18AM +0100, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> : >
> : > Hi,
> : >
> : > I installed perl from the ports on my new box, and then started an install
> : > of the Phoenix browser.  After it was finished, typing 'phoenix' runs for a
> : > couple of seconds, then returns to the shell prompt.  There is no error
> : > message of any kind, and no processes left running.  The browser simply
> : > never appears.
> : >
> : > Any idea what this could be?  Like I said, I saw NO error messages during
> : > installation or when running, so that sure makes it difficult to diagnose.
> : >
> : > Please CC me if you can help.  I'm not on the list currently.
> :
> : This is a FAQ.  Most likely you have stale headers or libraries
> : installed; use the example in the pkg_which manpage to search for
> : them.  Then rebuild phoenix and all its dependencies (e.g. portupgrade
> : -Rf).
>
> Would that be the Phoenix FAQ or the FreeBSD FAQ?
>
> I'll give it a shot, but this is a brand new, clean system installed from
> (disk one of) 4.8-RELEASE.  I hope I haven't trashed my libraries _already_.
> :-)

I've seen this happen before with mozilla and pheonix - it would run for a
few seconds, a window would maybe flash up for a fraction of a second
and then it would
quit without any error messages.   Running it through a debugger I saw
that it was actually segfaulting in a library function, but just never
showing any error messages.   I eventually realised that the compile
with optimizations had subtely broken it.  Recompiling it with an
additional -mfpmath=sse sorted it, and mozilla worked.   It would appear
that fp code generation for athlon-xp is broken.  If you have added any
non-standard optimizations, you could try removing them and
recompiling.

Bruce Cran