freebsd 4.8 ssh access woes

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Mon Apr 14 11:23:14 PDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Andrew Thomson wrote:

> Have a problem with ssh'ing to my recently installed 4.8 RELEASE box.
>
> >From another unix box I can ssh in fine. It appears that the putty
> clients are the ones having problems..
>
> >From my tests, whenever someone tries to ssh in using protocol 1, is
> when logins are rejected.
>
> For the record, I am also using pam_ldap for storing the passwords.
>
> If I change the putty client to use ssh2, they can log on fine.. however
> I'm just curious as to why they can no longer log on using ssh1.

If this is inconvenient to you, you could have your users upgrade putty
to a more recent/latest release.  I remember there was a small problem
with the old putty defaults getting out of step with what OpenSSH in
FreeBSD was offering them, causing putty to fail.  New realeses of putty
worked by default - I think he fixed the handling of Challange-Response
authentication.

Bill.

--
W. Palfreman. 			I'm looking for a job. Read my CV at:
Tel: 0771 355 0354		www.palfreman.com/william/cv-wfp2.html