Error in fontconfig

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Mon Apr 14 10:43:01 PDT 2003

On Monday 14 April 2003 10:08 am, dick hoogendijk wrote:
> On 14 Apr Kent Stewart wrote:
> > If you aren't rebuilding your INDEX* files after you cvsup, you are
> > using an INDEX dated 29 Mar.
>
> Is it really needed to rebuild INDEX after every cvsup of the ports?
> Someone suggested one time:
> # make index
> # pkgdb -F
> # portsdb -u
>
> This all takes a long time. "Make index" takes 'ages'
>
> I guess I have to live with that if it means you're errorfree, but
> still, is it?

FWIW, I don't run "pkgdb -F" unless I am told to. With the current
version of portupgrade, the need is mostly gone.

The rebuilding of INDEX* does take a long time; however, I cvsuped 2
machines and only rebuilt INDEX and INDEX.db on one of them. The one
with rebuilt INDEXs knows that fontconfig is at version 2.1.93. The
other system's INDEX files were updated on 12 Apr and only knows about
2.1.92. If you want to use portupgrade or the pkg_tools, I don't think
you have a choice on the INDEX rebuilds.

When you rebuild INDEX, you will cause cvsup to redownload it everytime
you cvsup ports-all. I added ports/INDEX to my ports-all refuse file.
It saves several minutes of cvsup time on a 100Mbs network. The
computer with the local mirror is a AMD 2000+ XP and the one doing a
ports-all cvsup is a 1600+ XP. I build my INDEX files on the 2000+ and
ftp them to the slower computers.

If you have a number of ports in your refuse file, "make index" is known
to fail when producing a new INDEX. An INDEX file with the number of
ports in the hundred's isn't of much value.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA