Opinion on mail server setup

Simon Barner barner at in.tum.de
Sun Apr 13 17:08:17 PDT 2003

Hi,

> I have a freebsd box that I am using as web server/database server.
> I would like to set it up as a mail server for my registered domain name
> (only a few email addresses).
> Can anyone give some ideas on what to use and maybe where I can find
> documentation?

As a MTA, I'd recommend 'postfix', since it's rather easy to set up
(ports/postfix). Documentation can be found at http://www.postfix.org. If you
install it, be sure to have a look at the example configuration files in
/usr/local/etc/postfix.

Be careful not to build an open mail relay (consider the use of ASMTP)!

If you decide to use sendmail that comes with the FreeBSD base system, there is
a chapter in the handbook (reading through that might be a good idea anyways)
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail.html.

I don't have a lot of experience with pop3 or imap servers (which you will
probably need in order to acces your mail), so I cannot comment on that.

Cheers,
 Simon