How to connect laptop and desktop w/NICs

Wayne Pascoe freebsd at penguinpowered.org.uk
Sun Apr 13 08:16:11 PDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 01:13:55PM +0100, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> So far, so good.  I can ping each machine from the other, and reset these
> settings on startup.
>
> However, the laptop (which I decided to make a client of the desktop, now
> that I have a modem for the desktop) cannot ping past the gateway.  I have
> the default router set to the desktop, but something else must be wrong.
>
> Do I need to have inetd or natd running explicitly for this to work?

Do you have
gateway_enable="YES"
in /etc/rc.conf ? If not you need to add this.

If you did need to add this, then run (as root)
sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

to save having to reboot. You should now be able to ping past the
gateway, but you might need to set NAT up as well. For this, just add
the -nat flag to your ppp startup command.

HTH,

--
Wayne Pascoe