Use of GMT in BSD

tuco tuco.email at gte.net
Sun Apr 13 02:03:32 PDT 2003

Hi

I see GMT being used in FreeBSD and wonder why an old astronomical time scale
that has been obsolete for a long time now as the basis for the World's civil
time is still used?

That is, Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), the basis for all civil time,
superseded GMT when the world converted to an atomic time scale and is also
an internationally agreed upon time scale-- even in the UK.  I know GMT is
steeped in tradition and has meant a different time to different people in
the past but it is not technically correct to say GMT because it really means
UTC when you say it.  No master clock measures GMT anymore because these
clocks are atomic clock measuring International Atomic Time (TAI) and UTC is
derived from TAI.

To the resolution of a stratum 2, NTP time server you can run on FreeBSD, GMT
and UTC are different times. In fract, the time your stratum 2 server gets
from the stratum 1 servers is UTC.  Identifying your time scale is similar to
identifying your units in, say, a measurement of length.

Thanx for your attention

tuco
Seattle, WA