major ldconfig problem

Jesse D. Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Fri Apr 11 18:21:01 PDT 2003

Howdy list,

I'm installing a new FreeBSD mail server, and I'm having
major problems with ldconfig.

This server is quite a bit different from any of our other
servers, so I hope this list can help me narrow down the
problem.

First, some background:
-----------------------

Dell 500Mhz 512 Megs of RAM, AMI MegaRAID (Perc 2/SC) RAID 5 array

Installed FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE from CDROM

Built from source and installed MySQL-4.0 (production)

Now, the problem:
-----------------

my .so lib directories are disappearing from ldconfig -r
after every reboot. I can add them with OR without -m,
wait a half hour, reboot, and all the changes I made are
gone.

I know there is a variable with which to specify the
search directories in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, but I have
NEVER had to hard code these lib directories by hand
before.

I have THREE FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE boxes, and NONE of them
have hard coded ldconfig directories in either rc.conf or
/etc/defaults/rc.conf.

Has something changed with FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE that causes
ldconfig to not remember my search directories after reboots?

Or is there another program that I don't know about that
I need to run to MAKE it remember?

Thanks!

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator