install is hanging

Mike Donovan mike.donovan at rcn.com
Fri Apr 11 13:20:42 PDT 2003

When trying to install Freebsd 4.6 via CD on my old Dell desktop it stalls
on the
"Probing port, please wait (this may take a while)..." window.  Hitting
alt -> F2 I see that the the system hangs each time at the line "DEBUG Can't
open PC-card controller /dev/card0."   The system is not a laptop.

Any help is appreciated.  The CDs with FreeBSD handbook cost me $70.  I'd
hate to find out it won't work on this system.

The computer sytem:

200MHz Pentium MMX Mini Tower

64 MB ram

Video card: Matrox Millenium PCI Video Board w/4 MB WRAM

Hard Drive: 3.2GB EIDE hard drive

Iomega Zip Drive

CD Rom: 12-16x EIDE CD-rom

NIC: asante nic-pci

Modem: US robotics x2 telephony 33.6/56k