problem with installkernel upgrading from 4.6.2 release to 5.0 release

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri Apr 11 07:44:43 PDT 2003

On 2003-04-11 09:51, Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd at keyslapper.org> wrote:
>On 04/10/03 09:52 PM, taxman sat at the `puter and typed:
>> > <SNIP>
>>
>> Depends on whether latest or most stable is more important.  The latest
>> relasease from the stable branch (4.8 Release as of now) will likely satisfy
>> what you're looking for.  If you'd like a little more of the latest, then
>> update along the 4-stable path more often.
>
> Cool.  I'll go with 4.8 Release.
>
>> Read the other link i sent and
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html
>>
>> Should help answer for your needs.
>>
>> Your upgrade procedure was nearly perfect by the way.  Just reboot after the
>> installkernel and you might have gotten it to work.
>> Anyway, have fun
>
> Thanks.  The thing is, I did reboot.  Several times.  It looks like
> the upgrade didn't change the mbr or something, and it keeps looking
> in the old kernel location.

Yep.  This is a known issue with an upgrade from 4.X to 5.X.  The new
boot loader will look correctly in /boot/kernel/kernel for the 5.X
kernel, but the first time you're booting with the old 4.X loader, and
you have to interrupt it, unload the old kernel and load the kernel from
its new location at /boot/kernel/kernel instead.

This should allow you to boot single user with the 5.X kernel and then
move on to installworld as usual.

- Giorgos