Analyzing Network buffers

Subhasish Ghosh subhasish_ghosh_mail at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 03:44:45 PDT 2003

Hi everyone... I am preparing a coursework for
submission at my university...the subject
of my work is "The Design and Implementation of
Network Management Buffers in 4.4BSD derivative
operating system Kernels and Linux" and I wanted to
know whether someone here could help in some way or
the other....
     Technically speaking.. I would like to talk
about:

1. How TCP/IP datagrams are broken into network stacks
in BSDs and Linux kernels.
2. Basically an in-depth analysis of "mbuf" and
"sk_buff" buffer data structures in BSD and Linux
kernels resp.
3. More IMPORTANTLY.. how "sk_buff" operations differ
from "mbuf" operations...
4. Which one is better??? sk_buff or mbuf data
manipulations?????

     I have in-depth OS internal and working knowledge
of FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux and SunSolaris...if someone
can help in someway or the other... it would be of
great help....

Everyone take care....
Subhasish Ghosh