problem with installkernel upgrading from 4.6.2 release to 5.0 release

Louis LeBlanc leblanc+freebsd at keyslapper.org
Thu Apr 10 18:21:02 PDT 2003

On 04/10/03 09:02 PM, taxman sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Thursday 10 April 2003 04:56 pm, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> > Hey all.  I'm trying to upgrade a system from RELENG_4_6_2_RELEASE to
> > RELENG_5_0_0_RELEASE.  And I'm having a little trouble.
>
> I'm not sure that's even a supported upgrade path yet.  There are plans for
> the 4.x-Release upgrade to 5.1 and 5.2 releases to be supported, but like i
> said, perhaps not to 5.0.  5.0 was never meant as a production release.

Then why is it tagged as release?

> > <SNIP>

> I believe because the kernel is in slightly different location in 5.0 and
> since you're running the old world (because installworld failed), it is
> looking in the old place and finding the old kernel and booting fine.
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> Make installworld again and you should have 5.0 release upon reboot.
> You probably don't wan't 5.0 release.  You may, but at least read:
> http://mired.org:8080/5.0-not-production.html
>
> Tim

I'm starting to think I'm confused about the version I should be
running.  I want an environment that I can use as a reliable desktop,
server, etc..  I am also hoping to start working on some java/JNI
development, and though I might be imagining it, I thought I read
somewhere that native java support was going to be better in 5.x.

Should I go to the stable branch?  If so, what is the tag that will
give me the latest and most stable OS?

Thanks!
Lou
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

Micro Credo:
  Never trust a computer bigger than you can lift.