Return values of the syslog(3) family

Christopher Nehren apeiron at comcast.net
Tue Apr 8 15:17:49 PDT 2003

... or rather, lack thereof. I'm not quite sure whom to ask about this,
so please redirect me if this isn't the appropriate forum.

I've looked at the prototypes of various BSD and Linux systems'
syslog(3) calls, and they all have 'void' as the return type. Now,
logically, since a log file is being written, wouldn't it be nice to
know whether that call executed successfully? Yes, I've already thought
of the "If you can't write to syslog, then you have larger problems than
this" ... but how would one -know- they have these problems? I admit
that I'm probably missing something about the Nature of Programming; but
at least to this newbie, it seems like it defeats part of the point of
calling the functions in the first place. TIA for any information about
this.