ISDN (Europe. dial-up) POSTED to QUESTIONS and NET.

Marcel Dijk nascar24 at home.nl
Tue Apr 8 15:15:49 PDT 2003

Hello all,

I am trying to get ISDN4BSD to work, thusfar, no luck. I live in Europe.
I use my ISDN adapter (Teles 16.3 ISA non-PnP) to  dial in to my ISP.
But if I start ppp and dial I get all kind of error from isdnd wich I
cannot understand.

This is my isdnd.rc:

# SYSTEM section: isdnd global configuration parameters
system
# accounting
acctall        = on            # generate info for everything
acctfile    = /var/log/isdnd.acct    # name & location of accounting file
useacctfile    = yes            # generate accouting info to file
isdntime = on
monitor-allowed    = no            # global switch: monitor on/off
# User-ppp example
entry
name            = userppp0
usrdevicename        = rbch
usrdeviceunit        = 0
isdncontroller      = 0
isdnchannel        = 1
local-phone-incoming    = 0505267744
remote-phone-incoming    = *
local-phone-dialout    = 0505267744    # This *MUST* be your local number
remote-phone-dialout    = 1234567    # ppp(8) will override this
remdial-handling    = first
dialin-reaction        = ignore
dialout-type        = normal
b1protocol        = hdlc
idletime-incoming    = 900        # Should be larger than ppp's timeout
idletime-outgoing    = 900        # Should be larger than ppp's timeout
unitlength        = 0
unitlengthsrc        = conf
dialretries        = 1
dialrandincr        = on
recoverytime        = 1        # Should be smaller than ppp's redial
usedown            = off
downtries        = 2
downtime        = 30

entry
name            = userppp1
usrdevicename        = rbch
usrdeviceunit        = 1
isdncontroller      = 0
isdnchannel        = 2
local-phone-incoming    = 1234567
remote-phone-incoming    = *
local-phone-dialout    = 0505267744    # This *MUST* be your local number
remote-phone-dialout    = 1234567    # ppp(8) will override this
remdial-handling    = first
dialin-reaction        = accept
dialout-type        = normal
b1protocol        = hdlc
idletime-incoming    = 900        # Should be larger than ppp's timeout
idletime-outgoing    = 900        # Should be larger than ppp's timeout
unitlength        = 0
unitlengthsrc        = conf
dialretries        = 1
dialrandincr        = on
recoverytime        = 1        # Should be smaller than ppp's redial
usedown            = off
downtries        = 2
downtime        = 30

----

I filled it in according to the example in /usr/share/examples/isdn.

And here is my ppp.conf

default:
 set phone ISP_NUMBER    # Replace this with your ISPs phone number
 set authname MY_USERNAME   # Replace these with your login name & password.
 set authkey MY_PASS    # This profile assumes you're using PAP or CHAP.
# set enddisc mac    # Assuming you have a LAN (dont have a LAN on the
ISDN PC)
 enable lqr
 set reconnect 3 5
 set redial 3 10
 set lqrperiod 45
 disable pred1 deflate mppe
 deny pred1 deflate mppe
 set timeout 60 300    # The minimum charge period is 5 minutes, so don't
            # hangup before then
 # We have no chat scripts in the ISDN world (yet)
 set dial
 set login
 set logout
 set hangup

 set device /dev/i4brbch0 /dev/i4brbch1        # Raw B-channel devices
 set speed sync                    # ISDN is synchronous

 enable dns            # Ask the peer what to put in resolv.conf

 # Take a wild guess at an IP number and let the other side decide
 set ifaddr 172.16.0.1/0 212.0.0.0/0 0 0
 add! default hisaddr

# set mrru 1500                # Multilink mode please
 set mru 1504                # Room for the MP header

# clone 1,2                # Two new links
# link deflink rm            # And get rid of the original one

# link * set mode auto            # Automatically manage the second link
# set autoload 10 80 30            # Down @10% usage, up at 80%, 30s sample

 set server /var/run/ppp/ppp-isdn "" 0177 # The diagnostic port (-rw-------)

---

Also filled in according to the example.

I also have an alternative ppp.conf wich gives the same errors:

default:
 set device /dev/i4brbch0 /dev/i4brbch1
 set speed sync
 set dial
 set logout
 set hangup

hetnet:
 set phone ISP_NUMBER    # Replace this with your ISPs phone number
 set login
 set authname THE_NAME    # Replace these with your login name & password.
 set authkey THE_PASS    # This profile assumes you're using PAP or CHAP.
 ifaddr 0.0.0.0
 add default HISADDR
 enable dns

[...]

I can't give you the errors ISDND gives, I simply forgot them. It were
unintelligable errors to me.

The errors came from isdnd, not from ppp.

Sorry for the mega e-mail but I thought I could best be as verbose as
possible.

Hope someone can help.

Gr.

Marcel.