solved my odd networking problem now a new interesting question

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Apr 8 05:10:09 PDT 2003

Rob Gallimore wrote:
> Well I solved my odd networking problem. It was just a matter of
> rebooting to bring the network up. That was kind of dumb. Anyway, I
> really like FreeBSD. I backed up all my linux files, trashed linux, and
> now just run Windows and FreeBSD. Personally, I think FreeBSD is of
> better qulity than my linux distribution, but that is a matter of
> opinion. One question I did have was this... I have noticed that
> programs origionally intended to run on Linux, seem to run faster on
> FreeBSD under the "Linux Binary Compatibility" thing. Why is this?

Better code?  I've heard this as well, but I don't use Linux compat mode
much so I don't have personal experience with it.

> Also,
> the Open Group, who licenses UNIX, says that both Linux and FreeBSD are
> not UNIX or something to that effect. The reason for my interest in
> Linux and FreeBSD was that I needed some Unix experience for an
> undergraduate capstone I'm doing in college. How close does FreeBSD come
> to actually being Unix, barring any license? I know Linux is just a
> "look alike" or "clone". but what about FreeBSD?

IANAL
 From a legal standpoint ... nothing is "Unix" unless the Open Group gives
it their seal of approval.
If you look at this family tree ... it's difficult to say who is more
"Unix like":
http://www.levenez.com/unix/
I've heard arguments that FreeBSD is a more "pure" Unix than Linux, but
that's something that could potentially be debated.  I also don't have
a link to direct you to with those arguments.

My personal opinion:  Unix is a family of operating systems with a number
of features.  Features like multi-user, multi-tasking, process control.
 From the standpoint of the feature requirements to be a "Unix", both the
BSDs and Linux are included ... hell, even Windows NT qualifies.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies