ICH4 Sound Support?

Orion Hodson orion at freebsd.org
Mon Apr 7 21:09:53 PDT 2003

/-- "Drew Tomlinson" wrote:

| > % fetch -o feeder_rate.c
| 'http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/sys/dev/sound/pcm/feed
| er_rate.c?rev=1.9&content-type=text/plain'
| > % cp feeder_rate.c ${SRC}/sys/dev/sound/pcm/
| >
| > If this doesn't work or you can't make it compile, let me know.
|
| I tried this and was successful in getting it to compile but my sound
| quality is still poor.  I was thinking of trying again after getting all the
| latest pcm sources.  How can I do that using your example or is there a
| better way?  I tried going to ftp.freebsd.org to see if I could find them
| but did not have any luck.

The handbook does a better job of explaining this that I would :-)

	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

You might also want to look at the developers handbook:

	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/index.htm

Personally, I use 2 machines: a "stable" desktop and a diskless development
machine to run kernels and debug kernels on.  I wouldnt recommend this when
you are just starting out, but if you ever decide you want to do kernel work I
can highly recommend it.  More info along these lines in the developers
handbook in the kernel debugging section.

| Thank you again for your help.  Even if I don't resolve my problem I am
| still learning a lot.

Okay, there's a reasonable possibility my initial suspicion is just wrong and
there's a chance the new file did not make it into the installed kernel/kernel
modules.  If you could gather some additional information whilst an
"offending" application is running, it would be very helpful.  Could you set
the sysctl variable "hw.snd.verbose" to be "3" (== maximum  verbosity).  Run
the application that is generating the noise and whilst it's running, run 'cat
/dev/sndstat > sndstat.log'.  The generated log file should have enough info
to have a better idea about the problem.

Thanks
- Orion