4.8 ipfilter ruleset compatibility question

John Murphy jfm at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 7 16:08:20 PDT 2003

DoubleF <doublef at tele-kom.ru> wrote:

>> > Things like this usually happen if your kernel is out of sync with your
>> > userland.  "ps" is probably also broken if you're out of sync.
>> > - jim
>>
>> IMHO, the "/boot/loader" and "boot[012]" are out of sync with the
>> kernel. When I updated 4.4 to 4.7, it was the same thing.
>> (Re?)installing these boot tools fixed it.
>
>Hope this doesn't sound like a stupid tip: if during boot you see the
>string like
>	/kernel: text=..., data=..., ...
>with "syms=..." in it, the loader is sane. Otherwise - punish him;)

Useful, I'll look out for that.  The box is headless though so I don't
see that stage very often.  I was probably running kernel.GENERIC at the
time when top failed (with rc.conf trying to do ipfilter things), and I'd
loaded it by interrupting the countdown.  But absolutely nothing other than
configuration files came from the old installation, so the world
(as I understand it) couldn't have been out of sync.

Thanks
John.