USB Solid-state drive problems

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com
Mon Apr 7 06:59:28 PDT 2003

Christopher Turner <christopher at contemplation.org> writes:

> I have a USB flash drive with 128MB.
>
> When it first recognizes it, i see this on the console:
>
> umass0: USB Solid state disk, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <128MB HardDrive 1.11> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da0: 650KB/s transfers
> da0: 126MB (258048 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 126C)
>
> I can mount it with either of the following depending on the mood of the
> box:
>
> "mount_msdos -l /dev/rda0s1 /mnt"
> OR
> "mount_msdos -l /dev/da0s1 /mnt"

Those devices are identical (in the last few releases on both 4.x and
5.x), so it's not the device you're trying that makes the difference.

> does anyone know why this thing is so flaky?  Will it be improved?  Will
> sending my style of flash drive to the dev team help?  Is 5.0 more stable
> with this kind of stuff?

Generally this kind of thing seems to be related to the standards
compliance (or lack thereof) of the devices, but I don't really know
in detail.  Certainly quirks and so forth are added to the development
tree on a pretty continuous basis.  Updating to the latest code (you
don't mention what you're running) might help.

> Is there any way to reinitialize the usb bus(or whatever does the usd
> detecting) so it will recognize the flash drive after i've removed it and
> reinserted it?

usbd(8), perhaps?