Postgres + MD5 Auth

Adam blueeskimo at gmx.net
Mon Apr 7 04:19:30 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 05:39, Wayne Pascoe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry to bug twice on one day, but does anyone know what I have to
> change in the startup scripts for PostgreSQL (010.pgsql.sh) to make it
> work with password authentication?
>
> I've setup pg_hba.conf to use encrypted passwords (md5), but then
> starting Postgres prompts for a password. This is not great for when the
> machine reboots and no-one is around to enter this.
>
> Is there any way of passing pgsql's password to the script ?

Since 'pgsql' is a local user with no login privileges, I see no reason
to try putting a password for that particular user.

Here's how my pg_hba.conf looks:
local   all         eskimo                                         md5
local   all         pgsql                                          trust
host    all         eskimo      192.168.56.0      255.255.255.0    md5
local   all         root                                           md5

If you find a better way, or a reason that this is insecure, let me
know.

--
Adam <blueeskimo at gmx.net>