From 4.7 to 4.8

kitsune kitbsdlists at HotPOP.com
Sun Apr 6 19:54:04 PDT 2003

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 21:41:33 -0400
taxman <taxman at acd.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 06 April 2003 07:23 pm, Konrad Scorciapino wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > From freebsd.org:
> > > If you're upgrading from a previous release of FreeBSD, you generally
> > > will have three options:
> > > - Using the binary upgrade option of sysinstall(8).
>
> as far as I understand it, it's the worst of the three options.  Back up and
> reinstall is the most reliable.  I've done many many source upgrades, and
> never had serious problems that trying again didn't fix.  Just my two cents.
> If you care to do the binary upgrade read on.
>
> > How can I do it?
>
> You need to run the new sysinstall.  You would get this by either booting from
> a 4.8 Release CD, or the 4.8 Release boot floppies.  If you do the floppies,
> then you can choose how you get the rest, by ftp or whatever.
> Make sure to read the whole warning, especially the part about good backups.
>
> Tim

I personally like sysinstall upgrade option myself. I used it to upgrade from 4.7 to 4.8 just a few hours ago. What I did was goto options change the release name from 4.7-release to 4.8-release and then used the upgrade option. The cool thing about this is no boot floppies or any thing are needed. I then installed the kernel source and the ports. I then compiled and installed the generic kernel and rebooted to test it. It worked. From there what I did was retweak my previous kernel config to make use of the new stuff in 4.8. All in all it was easy to do and I did not require killing X or anything while I was doing it. The only thing that happened is that a few commands like top stopped working for awhile.