__stderrp problem after 4.8 binary upgrade

Richard Tobin richard at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Sun Apr 6 19:23:59 PDT 2003

> As to why the binary upgrade didn't upgrade, I'm not sure.

The problem turns out to be not that the upgrade did not put a new
libc.so.3 in /usr/lib/compat - it did - but that there was an old
libc.so.3 in /usr/lib.  I don't know why it was there: it's dated Dec
28 1999 and should presumably have been removed many releases ago.

(This machine has been continously upgraded since FreeBSD 1.1, along
with almost all its hardware being replaced of course, so there are
probably lots of odd files lying around.)

-- Richard